Encounter

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Study day 2 was more focused, but yet little was achieved due to other constraints. Lessons lasted quite long, and I was too distracted to study properly inbetween. I overheard my friends discussing the simulation results, and realised my results were wrong. Upon checking it was a dumb mistake in which I assumed that I had already corrected my initial error before simulation. So I had to rerun both runs in the com lab simultaneously, lasting 5 hours. Yeah, through some miraculous means which remains a mystery till today, Yihui took only like 4 mins to simulate her own program. Pure genius lor. I have nothing to say.

All in all I read through the first 3 chapters and 3125 and have many more to go. Damn, I was supposed to finish it today!!!

On other news the replacement wheelset recommended to me costs $400!!!! Mavic Cosmos, the LOWEST end stock Mavic wheelset. A brief history of my wheelsets: I crashed out the stock Mavic CXP22 rims, bought and used to failure the Shimano R500 ($175), now nearing the end life of my 2nd hand Alexrims DA16 ($110). Other bike runs on Soul S3.0 ($350) and still going strong.

Yeah, but Mavix rims are reknowned for their quality. And I agree with my experience with the CXP22 rims. They seemed... solid. But not too sure if that can warrant the close to 2X pricing.

I've learnt more lessons on risk assesment today:
Safety critical component: Stem / frame / brake / rim / fork failure
Potentially safety critical component: Spoke / seat post / rim clear failure, tire puncture, lights fail
Run-to-failure component: Cracks / brakepad / cleat wear and tear
Non-critical component: Handlebar tape / saddle skin / bottle cage /speedometer failure

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home